Monday, April 13, 2009

Twitter and the Blue Bird of Happiness

You may be old enough (or not) to remember "the blue bird of happiness." Wikipedia, source of all interesting information says the blue bird (here the species as well as the symbol, I reckon) is "the most universally accepted symbol of cheerfulness, happiness, prosperity, hearth and home, good health, new births, the renewal of springtime."

I keep seeing Twitter ads with all those little blue birds cheeping and hopping and frankly, they make me smile. Even giggle. It's a good thing. I'm reminded of how easy it is to laugh at anything or even no-thing just because. And I'm reminded of how beautiful the birds are.

I was working in the yard snatching vines off of a bank today and found a dove egg. Now I've seen sparrow eggs and robin's eggs and eggs of all sorts--this is an egg of a different sort. It almost glows with pearlescence. I only know it's a dove egg because I know they nest in this particular cedar.

It's unfortunate that this dove egg fell, and miraculous that it landed intact. Perhaps there was a bluebird watching, or twittering in the cedar announcing the fall and stirring the wind to move branches in such as way as to soften the egg's fall. The beautiful soft glowing egg just sits, being beautiful.

It sits, glowing, on my kitchen windowsill. There's that Twitter commercial again...and all those blue birds

No comments:

Post a Comment